Iteration, and John Brack

One of our two main focuses in this semester's design studio is iteration. I've found that this is a very useful and helpful way of working. It helps me think, not in my head but on paper which is of utmost importance in communicating architecture - and something I definitely have to work on still.
I took this photo as a self-reminder, it is from the current exhibition on the architecture of LAB on at NGV Australia at the moment. 

I stumbled upon it when I saw John Brack's exhibition. Sidetracking here, but I enjoyed Brack's passion for the observation of the human condition. The way in which he translated it onto canvas, was very powerful and somewhat, I think, distinctively Australian - both his more literal earlier work, as well as his later work. My favourite out of his later work, I decided yesterday, is  The Battle (more specifically, the Battle of Waterloo). It was the fact that he set out to do what he thought was impossible, i.e. depicting the grand scale and immense detail of a battle. Below is an image of the work for just a quick reference, but please realise that the actual canvas is 203 x 274cm.
The Battle, 1981 - 1983 (Image from abc.net.au)

0 comments:


 

Copyright 2006| Blogger Templates by GeckoandFly modified and converted to Blogger Beta by Blogcrowds.
No part of the content or the blog may be reproduced without prior written permission.